Your shopping cart is empty
The M&M was opened in 1890 by two miners, Sam Martin and William F. Mosby. Martin and Mosby coined a nickname, and quickly labeled the new saloon as “The M&M”. Like other all-night establishments in Butte, the doors of the M&M were never locked. The M&M was labeled as the last of the great “cigar stores” that dotted the Uptown Butte district. The King & Lowry, the M&M and the Crown were all-day, all-night drinking parlors and gambling houses that catered to the off-shift miner with more money than time. The “cigar store” was a discreet but superficial deference to Prohibition. The same customers who had patronized these establishments before Prohibition continued to come to enjoy cigars and other libations that continued to flow despite the laws against them.
The M&M originally featured a bowling alley in the basement, but the main forms of recreation were on the first floor, which was dedicated to eating and drinking and on the second floor, which was reserved for gambling. In the early 1930’s the gambling moved downstairs to the back room where poker tables and a Keno cage are still in operation. The M&M was opened continuously for 113 years and became the city’s unofficial St. Patrick’s Day headquarters.
The saloon went through a major remodeling in preparation for the filming of the movie “Don’t Come Knocking”, starring Sam Shepherd and Jessica Lange which filmed several scenes at the M&M during the summer of 2004.